Free Wooden Row Boat Plans
Here is a collection free or very cheap rowing boat plans.
Not all free plans are created equal, I make no claims that these plans are good or work. Some are really good and some not so much, do your homework before you start.
Many old expired copyright Popular Mechanix and other magazines boat plans are available. They are somewhat dated in their construction methods but some of the designs are quite good. They can sometimes be adapted to use the stitch and glue method.
Free Rowboat Plans in no particular Order
Email me if a link is broken. I try to keep links up to date but I'm busy building my own boat and don't always get around to it. Have fun.
- In the boatshed has several free boat plans. Mother lode of free plans. Lots of easy stitch and glue plans
- Boat design.net has lots of links to free boat plans. Many links are not so good. Some are fine.
- Free plans for a Bernarda 10 Sail but can be rowed. Not quite free, you must send a photocopy of your money!!
- Portuguese style dinghy, free plans. Cute row boat. Several others.
- One Sheet Skiff free plans by McLeod.
- Atkin free boat plan page.
- Free boat plans pdf in french. Clown sailboat can be rowed.
- Plans for U Expired copyright plans, very cheap plans some rowing boats.
- Jim Michalak's Boat designs. His book: Boatbuilding for Beginners (and Beyond): Everything You Need to Know to Build a Sailboat, a Rowboat, a Motorboat, a Canoe, and More! has boat plans included, makes plans very inexpensive.
- Free Plans for English Duck Punt ON Keep Turning Left, designed by Flo Mo.
- Svenson's has old Mechanix Illustrated free plans Lots of boat styles including a couple of dories.
- The Sound SchoolFree Plan for 14 ft skiff and detailed instruction in pdf.
- Free Sectional Boat Plans from an Old Book, Amateur Works Magazine Volume 5
- Free Fishing Boat Plans. In french and quite extensive. From U.N. Some can be rowed.
- Thai Longtail boat free plans and construction diary.
- Free Plan for fishing skiff Old Mechanix illustrated plan from Svenson
- Bateau Bois is a French wooden boat site with lots and lots of information and plans. Well worth wandering through. Try searching "plan gratuit de bateau cousu collé"
- Free Boat Plans Links to various plans. Some have already been mentioned but others are less common.
- Sam Devlin has a book on stitch and glue: Devlin's Boatbuilding: How to Build Any Boat the Stitch-and-Glue Way Useful if you have old style plans
- Duckworks boat building plans Many are free. ELF, Forest & Stream, OarMouse
- Free Stitch and glue plan for a Simple Dory from Spira International
- Vintage Projects Plywood Rowboat and Skiff which can be rowed or powered.
- Flo-Mo Amazing collections of plans. Some experiments from a meticulous craftsman. 1-2-and 3 sheet designs. Great fun.
- Old plan for 3 pc take apart rowboat PDF from my files
- Old rowing boat plans from DIY Wood Boat
Free Oar. Skulling oars, and Paddle plans
- Free Oar Plans from Bateau
- Another inexpensive oar, free plan Oars are cheap, plans are free.
- Free Paddle and Oar Plans Michael Storer's plans.
- Bob Smalser Oar making article Free plan
- Ruedi Anneler who described and drew plans for lovely wood sculling oars from a thread started by Rick Thompson Free Plans PDF file.
Many designers include plans in their books. Not only do you get the plans but often quite detailed instructions on building them. It's a good way of getting inexpensive plans. Typically plans are not as detailed though and real plans are often also offered for sale.
Several books are better references about traditional books and include ofsets. These can be used by experienced boatbuilders to reproduce the traditional designs. John Gardners and Chapelle's books are good examples. Links on the sidebar if you're interestd.
I try to be accurate and check my information, but mistakes happen. ALSO keep in mind that not all free boats are good designs. Some are but others are worth exactly what you paid for them. Also keep in mind while I'm in a preachy mood, that a good set of plans will save you lots of time and if you've paid for them you can actually often contact the designer and get help.email me if you find mistakes, I'll fix them and we'll all benefit: Christine