This knot is very useful when you want to make a loop in a rope. It is easy to untie. The farmer's loop is used much in the same way as the trucker's hitch is used. It can help tighten a load on a truck. The Farmer's loop is tied in the bight, that is, without the ends.
Tying a Farmer's Loop
Another set of diagrams
This is one of the simplest knots I know how to make. Its much easier to do than to figure out.
Follows these steps to make a Farmer's loop
- Make 3 loops on your hand.
- Take the middle loop and bring it to the left.
- Take the new middle loop and bring it to the right
- Take the new middle loop and bring it to the left
- Take the new middle loop and bring it to the right. This is your final loop.
- Tighten the knot.
- That's all.
- You can make it -left, right, left, right- as above OR you can make it -right, left, right, left,- No real difference.
The loop is quite easy to get apart when you are finished using it.
I'm writing some articles about materials used in ropemaking and made a Conparison of Rope materials used in boats.
I also have a page on rope-makingwith links to some good videos.
Some of my Knot Pages
- The Anchor Bend Knot
- Bowline, The Must Know Knot
- Bowline on a bight, how to tie a bowline if you don't have the ends.
- Cleat Hitch Its surprising how many people can't tie this knot properly
- Constrictor Knots make it a point of being difficult to untie. Its their job!
- Highwayman's Hitch makes it a point of being easy to untie, good for a quick hitch at the dock or where you need to get it undone fast
- Reef Knots are used to reef sails, otherwise they are very unreliable.
- Rolling Hitch A useful knot that can be tied on another line to pull some slack so you can untie a knot or untangle a winch line.
- Sheet Bend joins 2 ropes together
- The Stopper Knot stops a knot from running out of a cleat. 2 styles
- Truckers Hitch helps tighten a rope around a canoe on a car or on a trailer.
- Farmer's Loop Similar to the Trucker's hitch, easy to tie.
- Round Turn and two half hitches a useful multipurpose knot
- The Fireman's coil keeps your coiled rope from getting tangled.
- Buntline Hitch, a very old knot that has found a new life with modern slippery rope